I have been aware of Carnevale for some time, but never really put much thought into it until earlier this year. Strangely, it’s terrain that gave me the initial spark. After seeing a crowdfunding project for Venetian terrain, Waterspire, I looked back at the game and enjoyed the minis and theme more than I remembered. And then I took a look at the rules, and just loved how dynamic the movement system felt, with free jumps, parkour, 3d terrain fully integral to the game, including jumping from rooftops and swimming in canals, etc. So I got myself a starter and some extra minis to try out the game.
The project took a bit longer to ramp up than I would have like, as other priorities came up first in the painting queue, amongst other things. One of the hurdles was how to base the models. In the end, we opted to use the texture from the floor tiles of the Waterspire project and make base toppers, so the models would fit with the eventual streets we might print. They are a bit tall to my taste, but thinner toppers might have warped during printing, and I didn’t want to file that much resin in a room I share with the kids.